Thursday, February 5, 2009

Troublemaker (Reprise) - Weezer

So what happened in the court case? The judge called our case Tuesday morning, and asked us to try to work it out amongst ourselves one last time, if it were possible. We went into the hall, and it was clear they were upset that I had found what insurance they had and that I had filed a claim (on the advice of my insurance agent and an un-named source at the police station). The husband told me that even if I won, the insurance company would likely hire a lawyer to appeal the judge’s decision and take it to “Big-boy court, whatever that is.” Immediately I felt insulted; one, that he would use such infantile terms when he had to know that I knew he was a lawyer (especially as he stood there in his expensive pin-striped suit), and two, that he would think I would get scared. What insurance company would hire a lawyer for a $420 claim appeal? That’s ridiculous. This only increased my resolve.

We went back in front of the judge, and I presented my case. I was very nervous – more so than if I was speaking in front of a large group. I thought I did a decent job – looking back, I wish I had said things a little more clearly or remembered a few additional points, but all in all, it was OK. I stayed calm, and presented my itemized damages, pictures and diagrams of the incident, and did my best to stay level-headed and organized.

Jonalee gave her testimony, and it was a little more scattered. At one point, she told the judge that she had never been in an accident, had never gotten a ticket in her life, that her kids get on her for her cautious driving and slow speeds, and that she “refuses to break the law.” After which, she and her husband both testified that they didn’t provide insurance to me when I asked for it as the result of an accident – which is a violation of the law.

The judge then asked the husband what he was there for. When the husband replied that he was not in the car at the time of the accident, the judge said to him in his best so-why-are-you-here tone, “So you are only here to tell me about the conversations after the incident.”

The judge deferred ruling on the spot, and instead told us he would issue a written judgment, which he hoped to have to us in the next few days. So you can only imagine how tough it was on Lisa and me, wondering who the judge would hold responsible, and if we lost, how we would pay for the front bumper. I was pretty confident though, that the decision would be either a both-at-fault or in my favor.

Wednesday passed with no mailing. Thursday, at Thanksgiving dinner with Lisa’s family, I was happily surprised when Lisa’s cousin’s kids (ages 6 and 8, whom we baby-sit often and have a lot of fun with) presented me with my very own 15-foot Ironman banner. Katy and Jackson had drawn pictures of me swimming and biking and running; Jackson drew pictures of sharks swimming around me. They even put my final time. It was awesome.

Friday came, and in the mail was the judgment.

I had won.

Now it’s time to go get my Ironman tattoo. Since I bleed green for MSU, I think it’s only fitting that my M-Dot be an S-Dot instead.

I am Ironman.

No comments: